These advices work only for NON motorized scooters in France
When you use your scooter you are considered as a pedestrian but as you are faster than pedestrians you are liable for any accident.
For the safety of everyone you should know these helpful tips and rules:
- Don't touch the brake bare-handed right after braking, you could burn your fingers.
- Check regularly if all the bolting is tightly in place and if you're using a scooter with tires check the pressure too.
- Avoid riding at night as most of scooter don't have any lights.
- Beware of metro rails and such as the wheels can be stuck in the railing.
- Wear a helmet!
- Don't ride your scooter barefoot.
- Don't ride when raining or if the ground is very wet. You could slip easily and water will damage the bearings and other metallic parts.
- The maximum recommended speed is about 20km/h.
- Use crosswalks and step down from your scooter when doing so.
- If you spot unusual wear on any part change it as soon as possible, don't wait on it.